2018 Lenten Outreach – Fasting, Prayers, & ALMSGIVING
THE MINISTRY OF CARE AT ST. THERESA
Friends in Christ,
This year Fr. Tim and the staff have selected the Ministry of Care as the Lenten focus. The Ministry of Care lead by Deacon Steve includes the works and service of several ministries/groups at St. Theresa. This year’s Lenten focus will include Faith Community Homes, The St. Vincent de Paul Society, Spring of Life Partnership with Habitat for Humanity, PADS Dinners, Summer Suppers, Holiday Baskets, and Gift Cards for the Homeless High School Students. During the weeks of Lent, we will focus on each of these ministries. The following is a brief introduction to each of these focus groups:
- Faith Community Homes – St Theresa parishioners, through the St. Vincent de Paul Society, volunteer to assist struggling families with developing their career skills and home management skills to help achieve economic stability.
- Society of St Vincent de Paul – The primary activity involves meeting with parishioners or non-parishioners who call upon the society to assist them with unexpected financial needs. Each year we visit almost 80 families or individuals each year and provide about $40,000 in assistance for a wide variety of needs, primarily rent and utilities. In addition, Deacon Steve provides thousands of dollars of food cards each year to those seeking assistance.
- Spring of Life Partnership with Habitat for Humanity – With seven other local churches, parishioners of St Theresa assist families in the construction of their home. Now on our fifteenth home, we work side by side with the future homeowners to help fulfill their dreams of homeownership.
- PADS site at Presbyterian Church of Palatine – Members of St. Theresa assist each month in the preparation of meals to be served to the guests at the PADS site at PCOP.
- Summer Suppers – When the PADS sites are not in operation numerous people go without food. Simply because the weather is not inclement doesn’t mean hunger ceases. To relieve this need, several churches in Palatine and neighboring communities began offering meals. Last year St. Theresa began serving dinners in the Dolan Center on the second Friday of the month from May to September.
- Holiday Baskets coordinated by Donna Russ – Throughout the years Donna has coordinated, with St. Theresa and parish volunteers, the preparation and delivery of holiday baskets to at least 60 families during the holidays. This effort is supported through donations of food, gift cards, assembly, and distribution of the baskets.
- Homeless High School Students – The heartbreaking economic plight of our community is most prevalently observed through the far too many high school students and their families that fall into the definition of homelessness. Thousands of dollars are donated by many throughout our community to help these students make their holidays a little brighter. Let us hope to make this plight a little easier through this Lenten focus.
The volunteers of these ministries/groups will tell you of the sincere appreciation of those we help is very humbling. As volunteers we see how fortunate we are, and how little we are aware of the struggles of our neighbors. We will journey with you during Lent and share more about the mission work of each of these ministries/groups each week. Let us walk, pray, fast and give alms together to help those struggling to live their lives each day. We are confident that sharing our stories of hope will enrich you during this holy season.
During Lent we gratefully appreciate your prayers of support, without them we can do nothing. Almsgiving boxes can be picked up in the Gathering Space for the collection of your financial contributions to assist the many people in need.
Representatives from the organizations will be in the Gathering Space on these weekends:
- Feb 17/18 – Faith Community Homes
- Feb 24/25 –Society of St Vincent de Paul
- Mar 3/4 – Spring of Life Partnership with Habitat for Humanity
- Mar 10/11 – Summer Summers/Monthly Dinner for PCOP PADS site
- Mar 17/18 – Thanksgiving/Christmas Baskets and Gift Card Collection for Homeless High School Students
Almsgiving boxes should be returned to church the weekend of Palm Sunday – March 24/25.
We wish you a grace filled Lenten Season, with prayers and much gratitude,
The Ministry of Care and Lenten Focus Ministries and Groups